Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The launch of "Lansdale Love"

With about eight months of experience in a fully-functioning newsroom under my belt, I've noticed what may seem an unsurprising phenomenon. Almost daily, the most popular articles on our site include police round-ups, accident stories and developing controversies. It makes sense - we all want to know what happened when we saw all those police lights earlier - or why our local police chief may no longer be our chief.

For example, as of 4:15 p.m. today's top stories included Police log: Pennridge area (922 page views), Police, Ems respond to call at Lansdale Post Office (479), and Fuel spilled, road closed in Montgomery Township crash (468).

I know we can't change those numbers but I'd like to bring to life the opposite more positive side of our community. I know for a fact there is a lot more love going on in Lansdale and I want to showcase it. Hence, why I created this blog. Our reporters can only cover so many uplifting stories so this blog is an opportunity to bring to life a lot more of that love - and hopefully, we can manifest some of those stories in full-fledged articles.

In order to fill this blog with content - I'll need your help. So I'm asking any and all in the North Penn, Indian Valley and surrounding area to send along their uplifting stories of service (photos and videos welcome) embodied as a nomination for volunteer of the month. I'll look through the submissions and highlight as many as I can then we'll have readers vote on "Volunteer of Month" to highlight both online and in our print edition. Looking forward to hearing about the shades of love in our community!

E-mail submissions to Jennifer Connor, jconnor@journalregister.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home